Skip to main content

'The Nurse, the traffic Policeman, his foot and the guns.'



 I started at Acrow Engineering in 1974 as an apprentice printer, it wasn’t a great job but I was in the career I hoped would bring big rewards.
My foreman, Peter Kirby lived in Loughton which was fairly close to where I did in Upper Clapton, a suburb of London; well he figured, he had to come through that way to get to work. After a few weeks of being in the job he offered to give me a lift to work as he knew my wages, £10 a week, were so poor that the cost of travelling took up most of my wages.
Pete had a ‘souped up’ Ford Anglia, an ‘anglebox’, as they were affectionately known. It was bright red and had the mandatory flared wheel arches, patches of Plastic Padding and ‘Carlos Fandango’ wide tyres; the older readers will get that reference. It also had the ‘farty’ exhaust so beloved of the car enthusiast of that time; they had a brand name that I can’t remember. Most of the interior had been stripped out for the weight ratio aspect; Pete had a Recaro seat, the passenger seat was barely bolted to the chassis though and was a standard issue Ford seat, uncomfortable and badly designed. The car and its exhaust noises turned heads wherever he went.
We used to travel up Northwold Road, past Clissold Park and through Newington Green heading towards Paddington and Praed Street, well South Wharf Road; the same route day in and day out for months and years.
It was when we were driving around Newington Green one morning that the title alludes to. We were driving round the green as it was one way system then, it still probably is, as we exited out onto the Newington Green road a Nurse who in front of us on her pedal cycle suddenly moved right to avoid a pothole. Pete clipped her back wheel; she tumbled off the bike and onto the tarmac. The bike and her clattered to the ground, she lay sprawled in the gutter.
“Oh fuck, just what we needed…” he rather unkindly commented. I think it was more something to say. Anyway, he stopped the car about 10 yards in front of the now sprawled, spluttering nurse. She had managed to sit up and was struggling to her feet nursing her arm in a gesture of pain.
“Oh fuck.” Pete said as we got out of the car and walked back towards the distressed lady.
I picked up her bike and Pete helped the Nurse to her feet, she was a bit shocked and was rubbing her knees and elbows intermittently to soothe her pains.
“Didn’t you see me? You bloody fool I’m a big enough target…”
It was true she was a rather Rubinesque lady perched atop a delicate cycle frame; now in hindsight she reminded me a bit Nurse Gladys Emmanuel from ‘Open All Hours’. I can still see her in my mind to this day.
“Course I did.” Pete said. “Course I did. You swerved out.”
“Are you okay?” I rather limply asked. The Nurse just glared at me and carried on soothing her elbows and knees. She glared at Pete in silence. That silence was broken by Pete;
“The guns! Dave, the guns on the back seat! Get ‘em quick!” he blurted out. I looked at him, nodded and ran back to the car. The poor Nurse just looked even more shocked and confused. She had been knocked off her bike on the way to work and was now faced with two armed men in a souped up car.
I scrambled into the car and grabbed the two guns from the backseat; a Colt 45 revolver and an automatic pistol. I knew it was an offence to carry weapons uncovered in the street so I stuffed them gangster like into my waistband and covered them with my jacket. I ran back to Pete and the Nurse holding onto the butts of the guns. The poor woman looked terrified as she sat forlornly in the gutter ; Pete was offering her a lift off the ground as I joined them.
“It’s OK.” She said, “It’s OK….” The terror on her face and in her demeanour was palpable. The poor terrified woman must have thought she had been clipped by two IRA armed terrorists. I was terrified the Police would arrive. The Balcombe Street Siege had only taken place a few months before and I had two guns down my trousers. Great, just what I needed to be shot dead on way into work. I hadn’t lived long enough to make a will. I looked furtively around. I must have looked so fucking guilty.
“Are you sure?” Pete asked again,
“Sure.” She said “Sure.”
Pete looked at her bike, checked her chain and did that dry run thing you do with bikes to test that the wheels go round by pushing it backwards and forwards.
“The bike seems okay….that’s one thing. I am sorry love”
The Nurse glanced at me in sheer horror as Pete was saying this; as my jacket moved aside and revealed the two pistols tucked into my waistband.
“I’ll survive.” she said “You two go on, I’ll be okay.” Her voice had a nervous tremor to it. She glanced nervously at both me and the guns again as I covered them again to the best of my ability. I was wearing a cheap bomber jacket, one of the green nylon ones with an orange lining. Not the best fashion apparel to hide two rather guns under. Pete and I got back in the car, I put the guns back onto the back seat and we drove off. The Nurse was just stood watching us drive off.
“I offered.” Pete said. “I offered to get her to work.”
“I know.” I replied.
At that point both of us were completely oblivious to the fact that she had seen the guns. It simply didn’t occur to either of us that she might have been terrified by his expostulation of ‘The guns!’.
We drove on and went past the Angel Islington and went down Penton Rise as usual, it was all a one way system so we had a route that we followed every day.
As we turned and joined Penton Rise Pete said,
“We’ve got company….”
I glanced into the outside rear view mirror to see a traffic Policeman following us. Then his blue light flashed and he gestured for Pete to pull over.
“Oh fucking great.” Pete said. “A sodding crash and now this…..” he paused and thought.
“The guns! The Nurse has reported us for the guns!”
My heart sank. I had images of the SPG turning up mob handed, armed Police surrounding us á la Balcombe Street, spending hundreds of years in prison for possession of firearms in a public place. My mouth went dry. I have a strong bladder so that side of my terror was taken care of, plus I’d only had one cup of tea that morning.
“The Nurse has reported the guns!” Pete said again.
“But they are licenced.” I said “they’re legal…”,
“Yep, they are, but she wouldn’t know that…..Balcombe Street….oh fuck!”
Pete pulled the car over to the kerb.
We sat there and waited for the Policeman to come over to the car. He put his motor bike up on the stand and sauntered towards the car in that overly macho manner that traffic Policemans took up in those days. He walked round to the driver’s side; Pete rolled down his window as the Policeman leaned down towards it.
“Do you know why I have stopped you?” he asked rather enigmatically. Pete just shook his head to say ‘No’.
“Out of the car sunshine and come to the bonnet.” The Policeman said. He walked towards the bonnet and stared at it contemplatively.  Pete leant towards me and in a stage whisper hissed,
“When I get out cover the footbrake…”
I looked at him and nodded,
“Handbrake is fucked…” he hissed.
I looped my leg over the gear stick and low centre console and jammed my foot on the brake as hard as I could. It was bloody uncomfortable.
The Policeman glanced into the car. I was rumbled. He shifted position as Pete joined him,
“Black letters on a red background….is this car registered on the Isle Of Man?” It was a rhetorical and sarcastic question. I saw the relief on Pete’s face.
“Red background and black letters denote an Isle of Man registration, you’ll have to change them and get a number plate made up….Who’s that in the car?”
Pete said I was a workmate and he was giving me a lift to work.
The Policeman nodded and shifted position just as a cramp in my leg kicked in; I eased my foot slightly on the footbrake. The car rolled forward a few inches straight onto the Policeman’s foot, not over his foot, it must have squeezed his boot. He jumped back clutching his leg,
“FUCK!” he shouted, “put your fucking handbrake on…fuckinnel!”
Pete turned and jumped back into the car and ratcheted up the handbrake, luckily the ratchet caught and held the car. The Policeman was hopping up and down in a dramatic gesture of pain.
“Fuckinnel” he said more time, “Lucky I’ve got caps in me boots…”
“Sorry.” Pete said rather limply and glanced in my direction as if to say ‘Oh fuck this is funny.’
The Policeman gestured to me to get out of the car. Pete said to him,
“I’ll get it off the road.” He craftily pulled the car into a car park exit and jammed the wheels against the kerb to stop it rolling. We both got out of the car and stood on the driver’s side as the Policeman leant into the car and started a search of the car.
“I’ve got two guns.” Pete volunteered through the open driver’s side window. The Policeman looked up at him and blithely nodded like Pete had just told him he had shopping in the back of the car.
“Oh” The Policeman said, “Oh lovely,  a Colt 45 and an automatic….” He trailed off and backed out of the car carrying the guns.
“Lovely guns” he said, “I always wanted a revolver, they’re much more like a ‘real’ gun than an automatic.” He fondled the Colt and then handed the automatic to Pete.
The Policeman span the barrel of the Colt like cowboys in films do,
“Lovely gun, lovely gun. Where do you shoot?”
Pete answered,
“Marylebone Gun Club…..”
“You lucky sod” the Policeman answered “I’ve been trying to get in there for months.”
He reverentially span the barrel on the Colt one more time, aimed the gun at the floor by squinting down the barrel like he taking aim and it seemed, reluctantly handed the gun back to Pete. Then he gruffly said, and reverting to Policeman stereotype,
“Number plate, get it sorted, I don’t wanna see that again. Guns, check into Paddington Green nick in the next seven days to verify ownership. Oh, and get that fucking handbrake fixed too, yer mate won’t be with you all the time you know.”
Pete nodded weakly and got back into the car.
We were now over an hour late for work.
“Fuck it.” Pete said as we made our way up the Euston Road towards South Wharf Road and work,
“We’ll stop off at Paddington Green and get these checked in…might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb.”
We did. The boss was far from happy but Pete could sell ice to the Inuit and he bullshitted the whole episode away.
And so ended one of the most bizarre days in my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Protein Man of Oxford Street- Stanley Owen Green.

I wrote this Obituary piece for The Guardian about Stanley Green while I was an undergraduate at Goldsmiths' College.  I contacted The Guardian and asked them if I could submit it for publication. It was sent off to them and I waited in eager anticipation for their reply. It was published on Wednesday January 26th 1994,   the Editor  made no changes or additions except by adding some photographs (the photographs used here are later additions by me): "A Consuming Passion.... Stanley Owen Green who has died aged aged 78, was that tall thin man with steel-rimmed glasses who marched it seemed for an eternity up and down London's Oxford Street. It was his banner that made him famous, held high above his head and proclaiming "LESS LUST FROM PROTEIN" in large white letters. Underneath the banner he endured the taunts of sticky schoolchildren and the spittle of office workers alike, to bring his unique, indeed puzzling message to the people of London. He later wate

The Roswell Returns

“That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.” As those words echoed around Mission Control in Houston a round of spontaneous applause broke out across the site and in the control room. There were yelps and hollers of triumph echoing around the whole of NASA that momentous day in July 1969. In the Command Module Michael Collins was monitoring the vital controls that kept it orbiting the Moon. He flipped the carbon dioxide uptake switch, looked at the battery charge meters, oxygen levels and closely watched the radar screen. He sat back in his flight chair and watched the instrumentation flick and whirr. He daren’t relax, he didn’t relax at all. He paid great attention to the radar screen as he was commanded to. He had to monitor it for spooks, intruders or ghosts. He knew he was looking for Foo Fighters. They did show up on radar, aircrews had confirmed that as fact. It was how fast they appeared and disappeared that threw most pilots. There had been warnings by the

Christmas Gothic - The Sojourn of The Soul

As the man came in from work, he looked on the hall table as he did every night, ostensibly for any letters that had been delivered that day. There were none that day. There was, however, a small parcel wrapped in brown paper. The label on it was addressed to him, ‘To Harry, With Love’ it read. It looked like his wife had bought him a book, which was unusual for her to even go into a book shop let alone buy him a book. He picked it up and felt its weight it was quite a weighty tome. He unwrapped the book and looked at the title: A Goode Wyfe: The Sojourn Of The Soul. He noted the archaic spelling of the title; she had chosen well. It looked very interesting and was certainly very old, the leather binding and the gold lettering on the spine and cover gave that away. It was well thumbed too and the pages fell open on their own.   He looked at the imprint, last imprint 1818, first imprint 1313. He did a quick sum in his head, those two dates added together made 3131, a mirror image of t